Purchasing a home can seem overwhelming, with so many options and industry jargon. Take a few minutes to understand the various types of home loans so you can move forward with confidence. Our mortgage rates calculator will provide you with rates and loan types for your situation.
- Fixed Loans: A Fixed loan has an interest rate that does not change for the duration of the loan, so your mortgage principal and interest payments stay the same. Fixed loans typically come in terms of 10 years, 15 years, 20 years, 25 years, or 30 years.
- Adjustable Rate Mortgage (ARM) loans: There are numerous types of ARM loans, with the most popular having a fixed term for a specified number of years (such as 5, 7, or 10 years) and can then be adjusted each year thereafter, up or down based on an index.
- FHA Loans: These are mortgages guaranteed by the Federal Housing Administration. The required down payments are smaller with these loans.
- VA Loans: These loans make it easier for veterans of the U.S. armed forces, and sometimes their spouses, to buy homes. They don’t require a down payment and are guaranteed by the Department of Veteran Affairs.
- Jumbo Loans: Jumbo refers to a mortgage that’s too big for the Federal Government to purchase or guarantee. The current limit is defined by the county where the property is located.